Friday, March 2, 2012

Wrigley’s Zephyr/Strawberry 5 Gum


מסטיק פייב בטעם תות - זייפר
Wrigley’s 5 have a new sugar-free gum on the market. This time they went for a strawberry flavored gum. 

As I mentioned, in a response to a comment left on my blog a few days ago, Israel was given the “honor” of being the first country in the world to début this new Zephyr 5 Gum. The press release I read mentioned that due to the major success past 5 Gum flavors had on the local market Wrigley’s decided to have Israel be the first county to start selling this new flavor. 

I don’t know when it’s expected to be in stores in the rest of the world. I do know that when I looked for it here in Israel earlier in the week I couldn’t find it but today I found it where ever I looked.

Watermelon 5 Gum
This new Zephyr flavor is in the same sleek black packaging that all the other 5 Gums come in. Like the Watermelon Flavored 5 Gum there is also red writing on the strawberry package but they do have different graphics and the watermelon one has green as well as red on the packaging. If you’re looking to buy the strawberry one be sure you don’t accidentally pick up the watermelon one that may be sitting right next to it ,as it was in the store where I bought my pack.

As soon as I opened the package the strawberry aroma hit me. There was no doubt what flavor gum I had in my hands. The strong strawberry flavor continued as I put the gum in my mouth and started chewing. This Zephyr 5 Gum had an abundance of artificial strawberry flavor, but hay, what do I expect from a strawberry flavored gum?

Strawberry 5 Gum
Normally I really dislike sweet fruit flavored gums and I can’t stand chewing them for more than a few seconds but this strawberry 5 Gum had a touch of sour and a slight hint of mint that really balanced out the sweetness. I thought it made it much more interesting and chewable. I still prefer non sweet fruit gums but even though this Zephyr 5 Gum has a very strong artificial strawberry flavor it didn’t make me feel “sick” like most strawberry flavored gums do.

After chewing for a little over 20 minutes I started noticing the flavor was gone. That is actually quite a long chewing time for a gum. I would absolutely consider this a long lasting gum.  

The stick of gum was pinkish in color at first but after chewing it for almost a half hour it was completely white and none of the pinkish color remained. But don’t worry it will not color your mouth as you chew the gum.

Bottom Line: Even thought I usually don’t enjoy strawberry flavored gums at all I was pleasantly surprised by this Zephyr/Strawberry flavored 5 Gum. Yes the artificial strawberry flavor was there in abundance but they sort of balanced it out with a bit of a sour flavor and a tiny drop of mint. All in all it seemed to work. I won’t go so far as to say that this will be my gum of choice, it won’t be. I don’t even think I’ll purchase it again but not because it was bad, simply because I much prefer other flavors. If you’re looking for a long lasing, slightly sour, strawberry flavored, sugar-free gum I would say this Zephyr/Strawberry flavored 5 Gum is the gum for you.  

1 Pack -12 sticks of gum - 7.00 NIS

Kosher Parve Badatz KF London

BTW: Just thought I would mention to all the Hunger Games fans that since Wrigley’s Zephyr/Strawberry 5 Gum is the official sponsor, here in Israel, for the highly anticipated Hunger Games movie (that I think hits theaters the weekend of March 23, 2012)  they are having a contest where you can win tickets to the movie. I don't know all the details but there is a QR code on the inside of the gum package and I think that will lead you to all the information you will need to learn how you can win tickets to the movie. So if you are a fan of the books and want to see the movie good luck winning the tickets. A pack of gum is cheaper than tickets, no? :) 

Update: I think it's always a good idea to hear more than one opinion on any new product so I thought I would add a note telling what a reviewer in a local Hebrew newspaper had to say about this gum. Her and her friends really didn't like it. They thought it tasted like cough syrup. Given the strong artificial strawberry flavor and touch of sour flavor, I kind of know where they are coming from with that, but I didn't think it was all that bad. Still I'm sure many people will agree with them and really dislike this gum.

        
Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me.  No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own

No comments:

Post a Comment