Tuesday, July 17, 2012

PriGat’s "Retro" Blood Orange Juice


פריגת תפוז אדום בטעם של פעם
A post about this “Retro” PriGat Blood Orange Juice was scheduled to get posted here in May but for one reason or another that didn’t happen. I’m sorry about that. The bottle doesn’t say that it's a limited edition product but sill I'm not 100% sure if this juice is still available, so I wasn’t sure if I should even bother posting this now but I figured in case it is available and someone was wondering about it I may as well publish a quick review of this juice.

In October I wrote about PriGat's Fresh Squeezed Red Orange Juice and how blood-oranges were very popular here in Israel some 63 years ago but then slowly disappeared from the local fields. About 5 years ago PriGat decided to plant a blood-orange orchard in Emek Chefer specifically for juice. They wrote in a press release that because of the limited amount of fruit they had in the orchards the fresh squeezed blood orange juice was not going to be a permanent product but only a limited edition juice. I guess they had some leftover fruit and decided to make a non fresh squeezed blood orange juice as well, for their  70th Anniversary “retro” line of juices.

To me this “Retro” PriGat Blood Orange Juice had a slightly different taste to their Fresh Squeezed Blood Orange Juice. It seemed to be even more watered down than their fresh squeezed version. I had a hard time really picking up on the blood orange taste at all, even though they visibly added fruit pieces to the juice. I thought it tasted much more like a diluted grapefruit juice, even more so than the fresh squeezed one did. I didn't even taste the "spiciness" of the blood orange like I did in the fresh squeezed one, maybe that's not a bad thing. All in all I didn't pick up on much of the blood orange taste at all, only a grapefruit-like flavor. As someone who doesn't enjoy grapefruit juice I didn't think that was a positive.

I did like the pretty color of the “Retro” PriGat Blood Orange Juice and it’s always a positive when a product has no preservatives or artificial food coloring.

Bottom Line: To me this “Retro” PriGat Blood Orange Juice was not what I was expecting it to be. I thought it was too "bland"; not fruity enough. The fruit flavor it did have was closer to the sourness of grapefruit juice as opposed to blood orange juice. Regardless of whether it’s a permanent product or not I don’t intend on ever buying it again. Not the most successful way, in my book, for PriGat to celebrate their 70th anniversary.  

1.5 Litter Bottle- 6.30 NIS

Kosher Badatz 

Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment