Thursday, June 2, 2011

Must's Sachlab/Salep Sugar-Free Candy


עלית סוכריות סחלב וקפוצ'ינו
Elite has added 2 new flavors to their wide variety of sugar-free Must candies; Cappuccino and Sachlab.

There are other coffee flavored sugar-free candies on the market so the cappuccino one did not seem all that exciting to me. I don't think I have ever tasted a sachlab flavored candy, so I was interested in trying that.

I was somewhat surprised to see sachlab as a "summer" flavor seeing as I associate the hot sachlab drink as a winter treat, but I guess this is Must's way of giving us the sachlab flavor even on a hot Israeli summer's day.

This sachlab flavored candy looks and feels like the other Must sugar-free candies, they are all the same size and have a smooth taste and feel. Like the others it's made in a swirl pattern, this one is a white and light brown swirl.

As with many of Must's sugar-free candy I found this sachlab flavored candy to be very sweet but it did resemble the sachlab drink to some extent.

I thought it was a unique and interesting flavor for a candy but not something I can see wanting too often. It was a nice change of pace and if I want something a little different I think this sachlab candy would be a good option.

Each candy is 9 calories and is made of all natural food coloring.

In case you are not familiar the sachlab hot drink that inspired this candy flavor here's some information.
According to Wikipedia "Salep refers to the orchid, and sometimes to the drink derived from it, sahlab. It is a flour made from grinding the dried tubers of … orchids, which contain a nutritious starch-like polysaccharide called glucomannan."

סחלב ארומה

Sachlab is no longer actually made from the "orchid tubers" flour, these days cornflour is used instead.

Here's a recipe I found and translated (but never actually tried) in case you'd like to taste this drink but you aren't lucky enough to have an Aroma coffee-shop or a little stand in your local market that sells wonderful sachlab, like I have near me.



 Sachlab Source

3/4 cup cornflour
2 cups milk
3 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 drops rose water (optional)

(Optional toppings)
Cinnamon
Coconut
Pistachio nuts crushed

Mix the cornflour and water until you get a smooth mixture
Continue mixing as you add in the sugar and milk
Transfer to a pot and stir while you heat it over the fire until you get a thick consistency then add the vanilla. Add the rose water if you like.
Transfer to mug or saucer. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon, coconut and or crushed pistachio nuts on top. 
 
Let me know if you like it J
   
Bottom Line: Although this new Must Sachlab flavored sugar-free candy seemed very sweet to me I did think it was an interesting and different flavor and if it stays on the shelf (at this moment it’s a limited edition) I may buy it from time to time but it will not be my "go to" sugar-free candy.

80 gram bag of individually wrapped candies – 8.84 NIS

Kosher Parve Badatz


Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment