Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Ben & Jerry’s Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream



פינט באטר קאפ גלידת בן וג'רי
A few months ago Ben & Jerry’s-Israel asked their Facebook fans which of 5 specific flavors; that had been off the local market, should be reintroduced. Peanut Butter Cup won with 35% of the vote. Creme Brulee got 23%, Cherry Garcia 16%, Banana Split 15% and Oatmeal Cookie got 11% of the vote.


I was happy that Peanut Butter Cup “won”. I really love peanut butter cups and, as I think I mentioned in my review of Ben & Jerry’s Chubby Hubby ice cream, I really enjoy the combo of sweet and slightly salty flavors so adding chocolate covered peanut butter to an ice cream is a real win-win in my book.


I don’t know how long it’s been since Ben & Jerry’s removed Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream from Israeli store freezers but I personally never tasted it. Either it was before I moved here and I never noticed this ice cream flavor in the USA or I was already here in Israel but somehow missed it in my local stores. All in all, somehow I never tasted this ice cream and was thrilled to now have the opportunity to try it.


Since a) there are many English reviews for this Ben & Jerry’s Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream online where you can read all the details and b) many of you might have tasted this flavor in the past, I won’t go into much detail. I will just give you my bottom line and not write a full review.



(here are just 3 random reviews I found with a quick Goggle search)







Bottom Line: I really enjoyed this Ben & Jerry’s Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream. I like that they kept this ice cream sort of “simple”. It’s not one of Ben & Jerry’s overly elaborate flavors so you really taste the peanut butter in the ice cream. I like that! Sometimes I think they go a little too far and the different flavors get lost in the abundance. Here, on the other hand, you get exactly what you expect; delicious & rich peanut butter flavored ice cream with fairly big chunks of chocolate covered peanut butter cups. No, they’re not Reece’s (these are all natural and Reece’s are not). I enjoyed them, once they melted a drop in my mouth, and I could taste the chocolate coating and the filling. I was happy that they were generous with the size and amount of the peanut butter cup pieces they scattered throughout the ice cream.

So if you’ve been missing this flavor or, like me you never tried it but you enjoy peanut butter cups now’s the time to pick up a pint of this Ben & Jerry’s ice cream because I don’t know if this will be a permanent flavor or just a passing treat. 

16 oz. container 24 NIS 
Kosher Dairy OU D 


 Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

 

8 comments:

  1. Hey Isreview,

    Thanks for posting this. I live in Paris and was delighted to see that B&J PBC was suddenly available a few months ago. Interesting to read the history behind the choice.

    It's one of their best flavors, IMHO, though still a bit heavy for my tastes, as B&J tend to be in general.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it's available by you as well and you are able to enjoy it too. I wonder what flavors are available in France that we do not have here. Happy you enjoyed my post, thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be about 4-6 flavors at any one time, with cookie dough the only one that's consistently available, as far as I can see.

      At the moment there's: PBC, cookie dough, chocolate brownie, fairly nuts, caramel chew and chunky monkey, which seems to have recently reappeared.

      Interesting that PBC is the best seller. I'm interested to see how it fares here in France, where peanut butter isn't at all popular.

      Delete
    2. Cookie dough is my "go to" favorite flavor of Ben and Jerry's, so I am not surprised that's a constant by you too.

      For years "they" said peanut butter flavor was not popular here in Israel either but recently it seems to be changing- I still do not think peanut butter is popular as a sandwich spread etc (like in the USA) but it is popping up a lot more recently, here in Israel, as a flavor in candy and ice creams etc so I wonder if maybe that will be the case in France too.

      Delete
  3. I'm still waiting to try this one in Netanya as they haven't brought it anywhere near enough to buy without it melting completely on the way home :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer! Hope they bring it to your neck of the woods sooner than later. I am not sure if its a permanent flavor so I don't know how long it will stay on the shelf,
      Although I saw a representative of Ben & Jerry's on a morning TV show the other day say that the Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream is currently their most popular and best seller- so it may stay on the shelf and hopefully make its way to Netanya.

      Delete
    2. I really hope so. I was recently in Jlm and looked for it there too (it's become a ritual :P), but without any luck. I was at Shufersal Deal-do you remember which supermarket you got it in? Maybe only a specific chain buys it...

      Delete
    3. I gotta say I have seen it at almost every supermarket I ever checked since it came out, this week alone I double checked at both Mega Bul and Rami Levi and both of them had it.

      Sorry you have been having such a hard time finding it. Hope the ice cream itself will not be a let down to you once you finally find it :)

      Delete