Monday, August 29, 2011

MamaOf's Panko Coated Chicken Schnitzel

MamaOf's latest addition to their long line of chicken schnitzels is a chicken schnitzel covered in Japanese style Panko bread crumbs.

I had no idea what Panko bread crumbs were but a quick Goggle search taught me a lot Source
Source
Panko bread crumbs are "Made from crust-less bread. Panko is widely used in Japanese cooking although it is no longer found exclusively in Japanese cuisine as it has become a popular coating for fried food all over Asia and even in non-Asian countries."

Panko breadcrumbs are larger than the regular breadcrumbs we are used to and they look more like flakes than crumbs. The fact that it's made from a crust-less bread keeps these breadcrumbs much lighter and airier. Somehow this softer texture is meant to produce a crispier coating than regular breadcrumbs.


מאמא עוף שניצל אמיתי בציפוי פנקו
I was sure this new Panko coated Chicken Schnitzel would be very different to the MamaOf Kosher for Pesach Schnitzel I reviewed but, all this interesting information about Panko breadcrumbs made me wonder if the coating on this schnitzel would taste different to the MamaOf Crunchy RitzuOf Schnitzels I reviewed a few months back. The short answer is yes, in my opinion it was fairly different.

The first time I tasted MamaOf's Panko Coated Chicken Schnitzel I warmed it in the microwave. I found that the coating was basically disconnected from the chicken itself and it was very soft and airy.



The taste and texture of the coating reminded me of the batter coating you might get on say a (Western) General Tso's Chicken dish. Seeing as it had been warmed in the microwave the Panko Schnitzel was not at all crispy. It was enjoyable enough but I knew that in order to write a proper review I would have to taste it warmed in a toaster oven as well. That way I can judge how crispy I thought it was.

A few days later I did just that, after a few minutes toasting, it was crispy and ready to eat. I did think it was more oily than I anticipated, it needed to be patted down with a paper towel to remove the extra oil.

This time I didn’t think it tasted anything like General Tso's Chicken but it was crispy and enjoyable. Still I would not say it was crispier than schnitzels made with "regular" breadcrumbs.

I was pleasantly surprised that even after being warmed in the toaster oven the coating seemed lighter and more airy than other MamaOf chicken schnitzel I've eaten in the past. I really enjoyed the airiness.

The 100% chicken breast itself was perfectly soft and tasty just like all of the other MamaOf 100% chicken breast dishes I know.

MamaOf's Panko Coated Chicken Schnitzels have no artificial food colorings and no preservatives.

Bottom Line: Even though it tasted quite different I enjoyed MamaOf Panko Coated Chicken Schnitzel warmed both in the microwave and the toaster oven. I liked that the coating was light and airier than other coated schnitzels. Still I don't think the 43.00 NIS suggested price tag is justified. I should mention I bought it on sale for 21.50 at Rami Levi the other week. Personally I would only buy this Schnitzel if I can find it for a reasonable price.

Bag of 700 grams – 43.00 NIS (I got it on an introductory sale for 21.50 NIS)

Kosher Mehadrin
הרב צפניה דרורי קרית שמונה


Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Since I discovered panko I use it almost exclusively instead of bread or corn flake crumbs cuz its much crispier even without deep fry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool!! I actually really prefer the taste and airiness as well:) so wonderful that is works well for baked schnitzel as well as fried:)

    ReplyDelete