Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Achla's Zucchini Squash & Techina Salad + Coupon


    - קוביות קישואים וטחינה אחלה טעמי השוק של שטראוס
With Pesach behind us and Yom Ha'atzmaut aka “Mangal/BBQ Day” right ahead of us, it didn’t surprise me to see that Achla has come out with two new techina based salads for Israelis to enjoy with this year’s Yom Ha'atzmaut Mangal. The first salad is a Cubed Zucchini Squash Salad topped with a Layer of White Techina and the second has Spiced Chickpeas under a layer of Techina.

Of the two options the one with zucchini squash seemed more creative and interesting to me. After reading a positive review about it on a Hebrew website I decided that although I’m not a big fan of such mass-produced salads I’d give this a try and see if I was as impressed as that reviewer was.

You’d think at this point, after what seems like hundreds of techina/chummus type salads they’ve made throughout the years, there wouldn’t be anything left for them to come up with, but somehow Achla (and other such salad companies) seem to constantly dream up some salad that they think warrants a big colorful "NEW" label on the container and or the store shelf, that never ceases to amaze me!

I wasn’t as impressed with this Achla Zucchini Squash & Techina Salad as that reviewer, I mentioned earlier was. I thought the salad was just fine. The techina tasted exactly the way I expected it to; like a commercial Achla techina, a bit too sour/citrus/lemony for me but it wasn’t awful.

Upside-down seemed like the best way to
 show you what the salad really looks like:)
I would’ve preferred if the zucchini salad part was above the techina and not buried under it but that didn’t make it or break it for me.

The zucchini salad was just "OK" too. I did think it was a little too oily, but somehow it worked well with the techina that was covering it. 

As a whole the zucchini salad part was a little on the bland side. I was sort of anticipating it to have a little more flavor given the garlic, red peppers and parsley it had in it but somehow it didn’t seem all that exciting and flavorful to me. 
Then again it wasn’t bad either, it was just mediocre. Hay for a commercial techina based salad I wasn’t expecting to much.

Bottom Line: I didn’t love or hate Achla’s Cubed Zucchini & Techina Layered Salad. It was OK for a mass-produced techina salad, a little on the bland side and a drop too oily, but edible. More importantly now Achla can relax and know they came up with a new salad for Yom Ha'atzmaut 2012 :) and I can take this opportunity to...
...wish you, and all of Israel, a Very Happy 64th
Here’s to many many more years to come!!


Container of 250 grams 9.90NIS

Kosher Parve Rabbinate Carmiel

Update: I found a coupon for this Techina or any of the salads or spreads in this "Tastes of the Shook" line from Achla.
source
 You get 3 NIS off any one salad or spread. 
It expires 31-7-12
It can be used at all major supermarkets excluding Mega Bool, Shefa Shook, Yeah and AM:PM 



Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. its interesting to see how they pack chummus in israel 30 years after i left. I went to school there in the 80's chummus was only served over the counter in a grocery deli section ,and tehina was in plastic concentrated plastic jars. I dont remember if chummus came in metal cans then,everything is so conveinient now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool to hear how chummus and techina was sold here in the '80s ,before I had the privilege of living here.

      You can still get chummus,techina and all sorts of such salads and spreads in the deli section (and they usually taste better than the ready packaged ones like these:) but yes things are way more convenient now.

      I wonder if selling chummus in metal cans would affect the taste of the chummus , I kinda think it might?

      Thanks for the fun comment.

      Delete