Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sour Krembo

Another snack that seems to be "dressed up" is the ever so popular Krembo. This new sour vertion is named "Courage Krembo".

As I mentioned regarding Carmit's Sour Marshmallows, sour-sugared sweets are a big craze right now. I guess J'anna (ג'אנה ,a less popular Krembo manufacturer) wanted to get in on this trend.  

The Krembo "season" here in Israel is sort of coming to an end. Normally you see them on the shelves starting in the fall and staying around until spring time. That's why I was very surprised to first see the sour Krembo now. As it is, I only saw it in select convenient stores and smaller Makolets (grocery store) and not in the mainstream supermarkets but since its a trial product, that makes sense. Once I saw it I had to try it!

The krembos are not individually wrapped in foil like the sweet Krembos. Instead they are in a box of 20, sold individually, and each Krembo is unwrapped, that was an issue for me. I wonder if that's why they call them "Courage Krembo".

There are 2 sour Krembos to choose from; pink and yellow. The pink was intended to be strawberry-Bazooka gum and the yellow is banana flavor.

The outside is a somewhat harder shell, covered in sour-sugar, similar in texture to the chocolate shell of the classic Krembo. The cream inside was the matching color to the outside shell. At the bottom was the classic cookie you would find in a regular Krembo.

The sour-sugar covered shell was quite sour, but that didn't bother me, my main issue was the awful taste of the cream itself. It tasted like fluffy margarine. Simply YUCK! Now I know why its called "Courage".

Both the pink and yellow tasted just as bad. I didn’t notice a strawberry/Bazooka or a banana flavor, just margarine! I have no idea if it has margarine in it or not. I don't have the box with the list or ingredients and I could not find any mention of the product on-line, but margarine is the long lasting, terrible, after-taste this sour Krembo left in my mouth.

I know the classic Krembo is far from natural and has artificial ingredients in it but it's definitely edible and many love it. "Kids" of all ages wait for the Krembo season year in year out. I don't see that happening with this sour version. It could be if Strauss tried making a sour vertion of their popular Krembo it would be a success, I don't know, but this one was really bad.

Bottom Line: Don’t bother looking for the sour Krembo , if you want a sour-sugar coated treat I'd go for the sour marshmallows.

Individual Krembo - 4 NIS

Kosher: Parve - Chatam Sofer

Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

6 comments:

  1. You are unbelievably brave for trying these- Many thanks for testing them so that the rest of us dont have to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chavi, LOL! Your very welcome :)
    That's one of the main reasons for this blog to "save" others from disasters like this krembo and let you know when something is worth your hard earned shekels:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think they sell these here in the US but this brought back such memories for me! I spent a year in seminary in Israel (about 20 years ago) and these were ALL THE RAGE. This post brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Riviki - So glad it made you smile:)

    You mean there were sour krembos back then too? Or do you mean the sweet ones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, good point about the courage crembo.
    Why can't they just leave well enough alone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Why can't they just leave well enough alone? :)"
    LOL Dina - could not agree with you more on this one!

    ReplyDelete