Tuesday, September 6, 2011

St. Dalfour's Raspberry & Pomegranate Jam

With Rosh Hashanah less than a month away I'm starting to see many press releases for Rosh Hashanah related products. Many of them are pomegranate* items .

One such Pomegranate Rosh Hashanah product is St. Dalfour's Raspberry & Pomegranate Jam. I really like St. Dalfour's Four Fruit Jam and was very interested to taste this new flavor.

Well, I don’t really think I should be calling it a jam maybe I should call it a fruit spread. What sets St. Dalfour's "jams" apart from others, and makes it my favorite is; firstly, they are made of 100% fruit. Jams, as far as I read on line, are usually made with about 35% fruit and confitures have a minimum of 45% fruit, so these St. Dalfour spreads are really quite different, and much healthier, given that they have the highest fruit count possible; 100%!

Secondly, St. Daldour doesn't add any sugar to their jam/fruit spreads. They are all naturally sweet from the fruit themselves. I really like that. I should add that St. Daldour doesn't either add any artificial food coloring or preservatives, so basically you're getting a spreadable fruit. I find them really tasty and enjoyable.

This new flavor was no exception. I liked the Raspberry & Pomegranate Fruit Spread. At first I can't say I noticed a strong pomegranate flavor. I thought the raspberry was much more dominant. Not that I have a problem with that, seeing as I really enjoy raspberries. I'm just saying that when I first tasted the spread on Challah I actually forgot it even had pomegranate in it. When I tasted it alone, without bread, I did notice the pomegranate flavor but it was more of a "secondary note", it was there, just not the main flavor of this spread.

Bottom Line: Although I didn’t think pomegranate was the leading flavor in this St. Dalfour Raspberry & Pomegranate fruit spread I still think it was tasty and enjoyable. I absolutely plan on spreading it on Challah many times over the Rosh Hashanah Holiday (and beyond).

* Pomegranate is one of the symbolic fruits we eat on Rosh Hashanah. In the Bible, the Land of Israel is praised for its pomegranates. It is also said that each pomegranate contains 613 seeds just as there are 613 mitzvot, So a reason given for eating pomegranates on Rosh Hashanah is that we wish that our good deeds in the ensuing year will be as plentiful as the seeds of the pomegranate. (source)

284 gram container 14.90-19.00 NIS (right now 2 St. Dalfour Spreads for 30 NIS at Mega Bul and ShuferSal ,possibly in other stores as well)

Kosher Parve Chatam Sofer
סנט דלפור רימונים ופטל - בהשגחת חתם סופר בני ברק ובאישור הרבנות לישראל


Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

This Weeks Haveil Havalim blog carnival
 is now up on Esser Agaroth's Blog 

No comments:

Post a Comment