Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Jazz Apple

A relatively new variety of apples have recently been imported to Israel. The Enza Jazz Apple was developed in New Zealand.

The Jazz apple doesn't grow here in Israel. As of now it's grown in the US, parts of Europe and its original home of New Zealand.

Enza's Jazz apple is the result of a cross between Royal Gala and Braeburn apples, this combination gives the Jazz apple a complex flavor, it gets its shape and sweet taste from the Royal Gala, while the firmness and slightly acid taste come from the Braeburn.

The Jazz apple is a bright red apple and may have some yellow mixed in. It is speculated that the Jazz apple got its name based on its color combination that can be compared to jazz music, which is often an advanced harmony with the discoloration of a piecework.

Good quality Jazz apples should be flavorful and well colored with firm, smooth skins. The Jazz apple also has a firm, dense flesh and as a whole it's a sweet, crunchy and juicy apple.

I've read that the Jazz apple has a longer self life than other apples, even when its kept outside of the refrigerator, during Israel's winter months. I did not have the Jazz apples long enough to test that.

Bottom Line: I enjoyed the Jazz apple but I prefer to buy local organic produce, seeing as its not locally grown and not organic I didn’t think it was SO amazingly unique that I MUST buy it again.

1 Kilo- 15 NIS

Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me.  No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment