Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Strauss’s Hazelnut Low Calorie Ice Cream

Happy Spring Everyone!
שטראוס גלידה מיני לייט אגוזים
I thought today, being the first day of spring, would make today the perfect day to tell you about another ice cream I tasted recently. It’s one of Strauss low calorie ice cream pops that I have never tried before. I am not 100% sure if it’s a new flavor or not. It doesn’t say new on the box and I didn’t read a press release about it (yet) but I had never seen it in the stores before. So maybe it’s not new but it was new to me so I decided to blog about it regardless.

These Strauss 38 calorie mini ice cream bars are hazelnut flavored, have chocolate flavored ripple in the center of the pop and hazelnut bits scattered about the bar.

The first thing to hit me as I ate this ice cream was the overwhelming artificial taste it had. I’m guessing it comes from the artificial sweetener, these ice cream pops have no sugar added to them, I think whatever they used to sweeten the ice cream left a really strong artificial taste that I did not enjoy at all.

Had I not know it was meant to be a hazelnut flavored ice cream I may have missed that, I think I would have known it was a nut of some sort but not necessarily hazelnut. Then again the nut bits generously scattered throughout the ice cream pop were clearly hazelnuts. I was happy that the chopped nuts were soft enough, not like the harder chopped hazelnuts I told you about yesterday on the Lachmit crackers; these nuts added an interesting texture to the ice cream yet they were not too hard or too much of a contrasting texture.   

The chocolate ripple was fine, yes it added something to the bar but then again the chocolate flavor was not as strong or clearly defined as I would have liked it to be.

Strauss's Hazelnut Low Calorie Mini Ice Cream Bars have added calcium and dietary fibers. They are approved by the Israeli Diabetes Association as an appropriate product for people suffering from diabetes. One 39 gram bar is equivalent to about half a cup of milk.

Bottom Line: The overpowering artificial flavor I tasted in this Low Calorie Hazelnut Ice Cream Pop really bothered me. I think there are much tastier low calorie ice cream options on the market and I have blogged about some of them like; the Skinny Cow ice creams, Goats Milk Gelato - The Smooth Side, Feldman's Pomegranate Sorbet Yogurt Pop or even Strauss's own Light Blueberry Yogurt Pops so when I want a low calorie ice cream type treat I’ll stick to one of those options and leave this hazelnut one in the store freezer.

Box of 6 ice cream bars - 39 grams each -25.99 NIS
Kosher Dairy Cholov Yisrael Mehadrin 


Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me.  No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own

     

No comments:

Post a Comment