Monday, May 23, 2011

Strauss's Goat-Cheese Stuffed Ravioli

שטראוס רביולי במילוי גבינת עיזים
In honor of the fast approaching Shavuot  holiday Strauss has two new ravioli dishes on the market. The packages are even decorated with colorful festive flowers.

You have a choice of Goat Cheese stuffed Ravioli or Olive Tapenade & Cheese filled Ravioli. I tried the Goat Cheese stuffed Ravioli.

These Strauss ravioli are in the refrigerator section of the supermarket.They are made with fresh pasta and only need 1 minute of cooking in 8 cups of boiling water.

The packaging says that you can freeze the ravioli before opening and just add a few minutes to the cooking time. I did not freeze it and after the 1 minute cooking the pasta was still a little too "al dente" for my taste so I actually cooked it for just a bit longer than that.

For a commercial ravioli the pasta itself was fresh and enjoyable but I thought the goat cheese filling was awful. To me it tasted like a powdery, grainy artificial mixture. Aside from which, I thought it was too salty and tasted nothing like goat cheese.

As I was straining the pasta I noticed that there were many ravioli that didn't have any cheese filling, at first that disappointed me but after actually tasting the dish I was happy that I had some pasta without the dreadful "cheese" in it.

These Strauss Goat Cheese stuffed Ravioli packages do not come with a pasta sauce but they do have a suggested spinach, tomato and capers recipe on the back of the package.

Strauss's fresh ravioli has no preservatives added.

Bottom Line: Considering that I find preparing homemade fresh pasta ravioli somewhat time consuming I thought Strauss's fresh Goat Cheese stuffed Ravioli would be a fast and easy dish for a Shavuot meal, but after tasting the "cheese" filling I nixed that idea. Living in the "Land of Milk and Honey" I'm sure I'll find many more delicious cheese dishes to serve on Shavuot instead of this grainy tasting ravioli. 


400 gram package - 18.80 NIS

Kosher Dairy Rabbinate Karmiel


Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment